A. The rule book
1. We get it, no one enjoys reading the rules, but they’re kind of a big deal. Before you get active, there are a few things we’d like to point out in the interests of your security, safety, overall health and to make sure you have a great time inside our Clubs.
2. Everyone at Virgin Active must play by the rules laid out in this rule book. The rules aren’t just any old rules, they’re part of your official Virgin Active Contract and have been carefully prepared by our legal guys. So, please take a moment to get to know them. Your failure to comply with the rules may result in severe consequences for your continued use of the Clubs and in some instances, may even affect your continued membership at Virgin Active.
3. These rules cover all:
3.1 Clubs (and in addition ‘Club’, for purposes of these rules and where applicable, also
includes the National Head Office, the Call Centre and/or any online or social media Virgin Active platform);
3.2 offerings (including, but not limited to, any online or social media offerings); and
3.3 equipment and other facilities, however not all offerings, equipment and/or facilities may be available at every Club.
4. Individual Clubs may, from time to time, display their own additional operational rules (including Club specific operating times), which you must also comply with.
5. Despite what any other rule in this rule book may say, all or some of these rules may be temporarily modified or suspended to cater for unforeseen circumstances. In such
instances, additional guidance will be provided in the Club, our online platforms and/or our website (www.virginactive.co.za).
B. Who should play by the rules?
1. All members, guests, tenants, contractors, visitors and staff must play by the rules.
2. IMPORTANT: If you believe that anyone is not playing by the rules, please let one of our staff members know, they’ll handle the matter on your behalf. While polite requests to other members are fine, please DO NOT attempt to enforce the rules yourself as this may escalate the situation and land you in hot water.
C. Sticking to the rules
1. If you do not comply with the rules or are under investigation for non-compliance with the rules, we may, depending on the circumstances:
1.1 temporarily suspend your Contract;
1.2 ask you to leave the Club;
1.3 deny you Club access;
1.4 if it’s really serious, cancel your membership.
D. The odd change
1. At times, we may change our individual Club operating times, or change these rules, but don’t worry, we’ll be sure to let you know if we’re going to do so by updating our website www.virginactive.co.za or by sending you notification through other means. It’s up to you to be on the lookout for any changes that may be implemented, which may extend to a fee being charged for any group exercise offering that requires members to pre-book in order to participate.
WHILE WE STAND BY OUR MOTTO THAT AT VIRGIN ACTIVE, EVERYONE’S WELCOME, OUR FACILITIES ARE FOR THE USE OF OUR MEMBERS AND GUESTS ONLY.
E. From the get-go
1. Is this your first time? All members (including junior members) must either complete or read and carefully consider the medical risk questionnaire before using our club facilities. You’ll also need to sign an assumption of risk, which simply states that you’re aware of, and take responsibility for any applicable risks to your health (or your dependent’s health) when exercising. We recommend that you (or your dependant) regularly consult a qualified medical professional who can give you (or your dependant) the green light to commence and/or continue with exercise.
2. Please read the warnings and stick to the guidelines displayed in our clubs and studios.
3. Consult a doctor if you’re concerned about any health risks.
4. Have you completed our in-house induction programme? This is a complimentary
introductory session with a fitness instructor available to all new members. Not only is it a great way to familiarise yourself with our Clubs, classes, equipment, etc, but it also shows you how to use our online products like myvirginactive.co.za.
5. We recommend that you spend 10 minutes warming up your muscles before starting any type of exercise. If you jump straight in, you risk damaging your muscles and/or straining your heart, neither of which sounds like fun.
6. Always remember to stay well-hydrated during exercising. While we allow drinks in
water/sports bottles, we don’t allow food or other drinks on the training floors, studios, pool decks, courts and outdoor areas.
7. No bags are allowed on the training floors, studios, pool decks, courts and outdoor areas.
8. Sweat happens so please carry a sweat towel at all times and use the disinfectant spray and paper towels available to wipe equipment (especially cardio equipment) after use.
9. IMPORTANT. If you experience acute pain, dizziness, a sudden headache or chest pain, stop exercising immediately and inform one of our helpful staff members. And let us know if there are any changes to your medical condition because we care. Fact.
F. General use
1. We know it might be hard to tear yourself away, but please enter and leave the Club
punctually at the times displayed at the entrance, which may vary from Club to Club and can be amended from time to time (see Rule B.1 and Rule D.1).
2. Pets (other than guide dogs, for which you will be solely responsible for) aren’t allowed inside our Clubs.
3. Firearms, ammunition or any other type of weaponry isn’t permitted anywhere on the Club premises unless the weapon is in the possession of an on-duty member of the national police force who is in the Club in his/her official capacity on police business or protecting an official person/government minister. Any police officers/security officials who are utilising any Club, facility or equipment in the Club as a member, may not bring a weapon into the Club.
4. We’re not fans of smoking or vaping, therefore any kind of smoking or vaping (through ecigarettes or by any other means), isn’t permitted anywhere on the Club premises or outdoor training areas.
5. Photography & Video
5.1 You cannot take photographs, video (live or recorded), Facetime or broadcast from
the restricted areas listed below:
5.1.1 changing rooms;
5.1.2 pool or poolside;
5.1.3 spa, steam room or sauna;
5.1.5 Club-V, Club-V Max, Junior Care or any other children’s play area.
5.2 You must not take photos or video footage of any children under 18 other than your own (in such case the other restrictions in this Rule F.5 still take precedence).
5.3 You cannot take photos or video footage of any of our CCTV equipment or footage.
5.4 Respect the privacy and the rights of your fellow members when taking photos or
video footage of yourself within a permitted area of the club, and do not take photos or videos of other members without their express and prior permission (i.e. please be mindful of how people may inadvertently appear in the background of your selfie, Facetime or video call). You will be requested to delete them (if a complaint is raised or if it is brought to our attention), and if you refuse, we may suspend or terminate your membership.
5.5 If we believe that you have made a broadcast or taken a photo or video footage in
a restricted area, or we have any other concerns with you broadcasting or taking a
photo or video footage elsewhere in the Club (in each case to be determined in our
sole and absolute discretion), we may ask you to show us the images or video taken
and/or ask you to (i) cease the broadcast, (ii) delete it, and/or (iii) remove the post
if it appears online or on social media, and if you refuse (or if the harm that we are
trying to avoid has already occurred), we may suspend or terminate your membership. We take a zero-tolerance to cyber-bullying, and if a broadcast, photo
or video taken by you in a Club is subsequently posted on social media (either by
you, someone you have shared it with, or someone connected to someone you
have shared it with), we will still hold you responsible for all such posts, and
depending on the circumstances (and these Rules), it may result in the suspension
or termination of your membership (and further legal action could be taken against
5.6 Sometimes we use our Clubs for photo shoots, to film videos and for other
promotional purposes. If you’re in the Club during this time and your image is taken,
you consent to us using it in our branding and marketing material.
5.7 Unless prior written approval has been obtained from National Head Office, no
professional photography or video, photo shoots, media related photography or
video, is permitted inside the Club.
6. You may not use, distribute or bring alcohol or drugs into/in our Clubs.
7. Under no circumstances are you allowed to sell and/or market any product or service to other members, staff or contractors in our Clubs or on any of our social media or online platforms. We’re all about making exercise fun and irresistible, so no conducting of surveys, research, questionnaires, data gathering, or other activity which can be a nuisance to other members or may interfere with staff carrying out their duties, is permitted within our Clubs, social media or online platforms.
8. The use of Virgin Active’s various names, marks or logos for promotional, marketing, advertising or any other activity is a no-go.
9. Our Internet station computers, as well as our social media and online platforms are available for use by you, subject to this rule book, the terms and conditions of Virgin
Active’s computer, Internet, online platform and Wi-Fi rules, policies and/or procedures. A copy can be found on our website. Junior members under the age of 14 who use these facilities in the Club must be accompanied and supervised by their parent(s)/legal guardian(s) at all times.
1. An access card, wristband or other device (a.k.a “Access Device”) will be issued to you when you join.
2. All members must have their photograph taken for the Access Device, so make sure you’re looking good.
3. Please present your Access Device at the access point, or to the receptionist, every time you enter our Clubs.
4. Please report a lost or stolen Access Device to your nearest Club and we’ll organise a new one for you. Unfortunately, we’ll have to charge you the replacement fee.
5. Left your Access Device at home? Luckily your ID or passport number will get you in for a total of three consecutive times only, after which a new Access Device will be issued to you at the going rate.
6. No one else may use your Access Device (not even your twin brother or sister. Nice try).
7. If your membership fees aren’t up to date, if we have terminated/suspended your
membership or if you have frozen your membership, you won’t be allowed inside our
H. If you bring a friend
1. At our discretion, you may bring guests to train with you upon payment of the guest fee or redemption of a valid promotional voucher and completion of the Guest Register. Your guest must bring their national identity document or passport and have his/her photo taken.
2. All guests must play by the rules.
3. You must accompany your guests at all times and are responsible for their behaviour which, if inappropriate, could affect your membership.
I. Illegal substances
1. Listen up. We take a zero tolerance approach towards the use, sale, possession or
endorsement of any form of illegal and/or performance enhancing drugs (including
steroids or any other banned substances) on Club premises, in the parking area or on any of our online and social media platforms.
2. Any infringement of this rule gives us the right to cancel or suspend your membership at our absolute discretion. No ifs or buts.
J. Behaviour (inside or outside a Club or online)
1. We’ve said it before and we’ll say it again. You may not enter the Club or use the facilities while under the influence of alcohol, illegal and/or performance-enhancing drugs or supplements (including steroids) or if we believe your faculties to be impaired in any way which could cause harm or damage to yourself, other members, visitors, members of staff, tenants or the facilities we provide.
2. The following forms of verbal/other expressions are not allowed (and where applicable, the further publication by you, even if not originally authored by you, is strictly prohibited):
2.1 An expression that amounts to: (a) propaganda for war; (b) incitement of violence; (c) advocacy of hatred that is based on race, ethnicity, gender, sexual orientation or
2.2 An expression which is or can reasonably be understood to demonstrate a clear
intention to be hurtful, degrading or inflammatory.
2.3 An expression which could reasonably be understood to be a clear intention to
unfairly discriminate against any person on grounds of race, gender, pregnancy,
marital status, ethnic or social origin, colour, sexual orientation, age, disability,
religion, conscience, belief, culture, language and birth.
2.4 An expression which could reasonably be understood to be a clear intention to
advance or suggest the inferiority of a group based on race, gender, pregnancy,
marital status, ethnic or social origin, colour, sexual orientation, age, disability,
religion, conscience, belief, culture, language and birth.
2.5 An expression which could reasonably be understood to impair or is likely to impair the dignity of others.
3. Do not make any statements or commit any acts of intimidation or threats, or use menacing behaviour towards other members, guests, visitors, tenants or members of staff or the public, or conduct yourself in a way which can reasonably be expected to result in disruption to the Club and its operations.
4. Do not verbally, physically or sexually abuse, harass or use violent behaviour towards, other members, guests, visitors, tenants or members of staff or the public.
5. Do not commit (nor publicise electronically or otherwise) any unhygienic or immoral acts, including any acts of a sexual nature, which may cause harm (physical, mental or emotional), distaste, revulsion or abhorrence to other members, guests, visitors, tenants or members of staff or the public.
6. If you, your guest or dependants cause any damage or harm, you’ll be paying for it.
7. While showering together may save water, we must insist on only one individual per shower cubicle at any given time.
8. Do not bring our name, brand or reputation into disrepute.
9. Everyone should be having fun when using our facilities, and if you’re doing something that is preventing that, you’re probably doing it wrong. Please conduct yourself in a way that does not detract from other member’s enjoyment of our facilities.
10. We’re family friendly and there’s kids around. So please, no obscene, rude, vulgar, or profane language, statements, images or gestures are allowed (including on clothing).
11. The manager on duty is responsible for monitoring the behaviour of members or guests and if, in his/her opinion, the behaviour is found to be non-compliant with the rules, it may result in: (a) the member or guest being asked to leave the Club, alternatively being removed from the Club; (b) in extreme circumstances, the cancellation or suspension of a Virgin Active membership.
K. What (not) to wear
1. Suitable and appropriate exercise clothing (no bare chests please guys) and footwear (no slops/sandals) must be worn while exercising. If you’re unsure of what to wear, just ask.
2. And remember Rule J.10 when picking out your outfit, and Rule M.12 when changing in and/or out of it.
1. Parking is only for members and guests while using our Club facilities. Where applicable, you are liable for any parking fees that may be due.
2. Please park in designated parking bays and do not use the disabled parking bays or the “moms and tots” parking bays if you’re not entitled to do so.
3. If your car isn’t parked properly, it may be clamped and a fee charged for its release.
4. It goes without saying, but please don’t leave valuables visible inside your vehicle.
5. Just remember, all vehicles are parked and driven at your own risk. We do not accept responsibility for any loss, theft and/or damage to vehicles and/or valuables left in vehicles or any other mode of transport of members and their guests while on Club premises, including any parking area designated for use by members/guests.
M. Lockers, change-rooms and personal belongings
1. Subject to availability, lockers are provided in the change-rooms/locker rooms to store your gear while you train.
2. Smaller valuables lockers (or Drop & Go lockers) are also provided for those important items like your wallet, keys, sunglasses, cell-phone, etc. – use these at your own risk.
3. Please bring two, appropriately sized, high-quality padlocks. One for your valuables Drop & Go locker and one for your locker in the change-rooms/locker rooms.
4. We don’t guarantee that the use of a locker will prevent theft of or damage to your property, so please (i) check that the locker is actually locked after using the padlock, and (ii) check that your personal insurance policy covers you for loss of personal effects.
5. We don’t accept responsibility for any loss or theft of money or loss or damage to personal property belonging to members and their guests, whether locked in a locker or otherwise.
6. Be smart. Don’t leave your belongings unattended in the change-rooms/locker rooms or anywhere else in the Club, at any time, and immediately report any lost items to a staff member.
7. Lockers may only be used for keeping gym kits, toiletries and the clothing that you were wearing when you came to the Club. If we have reasonable grounds for thinking that a locker is being used for the storage of something else, we may open the locker (forcibly if needed) and remove any offending items.
8. Lockers are available for use while you’re in the Club only.
9. For security, hygiene and other reasons, any belongings left in a locker overnight will be removed and placed in lost property at the owner’s risk.
10. Any belongings removed from a locker or left unattended will be available at lost property at the Club for 14 days, after which they’ll be donated to charity.
11. Where available, change-rooms that are or were previously designated for members with disabilities only, may also be used as gender-neutral change-rooms for eligible members who choose to and/or feel more comfortable doing so. These change-rooms may also be used by members with children over the age of 4, where the child may not be taken into a change-room designated for opposite gender adults (See too Rule EE.8 in this regard).
12. As a courtesy to staff and other members (particularly children), only designated change-rooms may be used for purposes of undressing and/or for changing in or out of clothing.
N. Equipment and the training floor
1. Please use the equipment for its intended purpose. Always follow the instructions provided and ask for help if you need it.
2. Please inspect equipment before use and don’t use the equipment if there’s an ‘out of order’ sign, a sign stating the name of a specific component of the equipment (yes, it means that component is broken) or other similar sign on it, or if it appears unsafe, damaged, inoperable, appears to have missing components, is worn and/or damaged. Please report damaged equipment to a staff member.
3. Please use all available safety devices on the equipment.
4. When using strength equipment be sure that the weight pin is completely inserted and never pin the weight stack in an elevated position.
5. Please don’t use dumbbells or any other equipment, other than equipment specifically provided by the manufacturer, to incrementally increase weight resistance on strength equipment.
6. Before stepping onto a treadmill, please make super sure that the belt has come to a complete stop and never jump off while the belt is still moving (you’re not that guy in those Youtube videos).
7. Handle weights and equipment with care and please replace after use.
8. When in the Super Circuit, be a sport and move with the timer and use the equipment (which includes the steps) in numerical order, otherwise please give way.
9. Some of our equipment has time limits, please stick to them so that everyone gets the chance to use it.
10. No booking of equipment is allowed (whether with a sweat towel, by an imaginary friend or any other means).
11. While we’re all for you bringing along your own kit to help you train, it does come with a few conditions. Preferably only our equipment is permitted within the Club, but we do allow, at our sole discretion, personal equipment or aids of a reasonably small size that don’t pose a risk to you, other members or staff. Please don’t attach your personal equipment to any of our equipment, fixtures or fittings – you will be liable for any harm or damage caused. Please remember the rule prohibiting the marketing of products to other members (no showcasing your amazing inventions). Should we find it necessary, we may at any time revoke this discretion and ask you to discontinue using personal equipment inside the Club.
12. Please also see Rules EE, FF and GG with regards to junior members being on the
equipment and the training floor.
O. All group exercise classes (i.e. in studio, on the floor or other classes)
1. All classes on a timetable are bookable.
2. Bookings can only be made online via our website or on the Virgin Active mobile app.
3. You may only make one booking per person, per class (nice try, but no booking for friends).
4. At the moment 80% of vacant spaces in a class will be available for online booking, and bookings will be open 8 days in advance, but soon all vacant spaces in a class will be available for online booking – we’ll let you know once this change has been made, but until then, the remaining 20% of the spaces will be available for bookings 30 minutes before the start of the class, in person, at the relevant class or studio entrance.
5. You will be limited to making up to 8 ‘live’ bookings in any 8-day booking cycle – you can spread these across a single day or throughout as many days in the booking cycle as you wish.
6. Bookings will close 30 minutes prior to the start time of each class, and should there be any spaces available in a class thereafter, those spaces will be allocated to members physically present outside the class on a ‘first-come-first-serve’ basis.
7. Subject to Rule O.9, a booking will secure you a space and participation in a class but will not secure you a specific space or a specific piece of equipment in the class.
8. Sometimes a specific space or a specific piece of equipment in a class is bookable. Where this is the case, it will be made clear upon making the booking, and Rule O.9 will apply.
9. Class check-in – If you have booked a class, you must arrive in person at least 5 minutes before the class begins otherwise your booking might be given away to someone else.
10.Cancellations - If you’ve booked a class but are unable to attend, please cancel your
booking on our website or on the Virgin Active mobile app at least 3 hours prior to the start of the class.
11.If you book classes but continue to not show up or continue to cancel late (i.e. within the 3-hour period), we may suspend or stop your ability to make bookings in future.
Other rules relating to classes:
12.Class timetables and instructors may change from time to time and without notice too. Please check the Club notice boards, our website or the Virgin Active mobile app for up to date details.
13.While you’re welcome to use any of the facilities and equipment at your own convenience, please remember that any classes led by our staff or fitness instructors always take priority, and these facilities or equipment may be temporarily unavailable for use at your own convenience whilst these classes are in progress. Classes will usually be advertised, but that may not always be the case, so please give way as and when required to.
14.If you are not participating in a class, please do not disturb the class (either by entering or in any other way).
15.Our goal is to offer a safe and effective exercise class for all members, so if you choose to attend a class, please follow the direction of the Virgin Active fitness professional to the best of your ability, in order to minimise disruption and safety risk for everyone else. Age restrictions for classes:
16.Junior members aged 7 or younger may not participate in any adult group exercise classes unless participating in age-appropriate programmes/classes being led by a Virgin Active recognised fitness professional.
17. Sometimes we change or update our adult group exercise classes, and as a result, junior members aged 8-13 years may participate in some adult group exercise classes where we specifically permit their participation from time to time, but always on the strict condition that when we do allow this, the junior member is supervised by their parent/legal guardian
– please consult your Club or our website to ascertain which adult group exercise classes in your Club permit the participation of junior members aged 8-13 years.
18. Junior members aged 13 or younger may not participate in any Mind & Body classes, indoor cycling classes or The Grid classes, unless participating in age-appropriate programmes/classes being led by a Virgin Active recognised fitness professional.
P. Power Plate
1. Please read the warnings and observe the guidelines displayed in writing near the Power Plate equipment.
2. Consult a doctor if you’re concerned about your health risks before using the equipment.
3. Junior members under the age of 14 may not use the Power Plate.
4. 14 – 17 year olds may only use the Power Plate if under the supervision of a Virgin Active recognised fitness professional.
Q. Indoor Cycling
1. See Rule O (All group exercise classes (i.e. in studio, on the floor or other classes))
regarding group exercise class bookings, age restrictions and other rules.
2. If necessary, check that your shoelaces are securely tied and tuck long pants into your socks to prevent any interference with the pedals.
R. Boxing, skipping and kettlebells
1. Observe the space around you when using the boxing equipment, skipping ropes and kettlebells to avoid harming others.
2. For your own protection, wear protective hand wraps and gloves when using a boxing bag.
3. Junior members under the age of 14 may not use the kettlebells, skipping ropes or boxing equipment.
S. The Grid
1. See Rule O (All group exercise classes (i.e. in studio, on the floor or other classes)) regarding group exercise class bookings, age restrictions and other rules.
T. Outdoor and rooftop training area
1. Please don’t use the outdoor/rooftop training area in inclement weather (we’re talking rain, thunder and lightning) and don’t use equipment if wet.
2. Consider your exposure to the sun, hot surfaces and high temperatures, and remember to stay hydrated.
3. Access the outdoor/rooftop training area through the Club only. Climbing over the fence or wall is strictly prohibited.
4. Please don’t take any free weights or additional equipment to the outdoor/rooftop area.
5. Train carefully. There may not always be a member of staff supervising the outdoor/
rooftop training area, but the area does have CCTV coverage.
6. Junior members under 14 are not allowed in the outdoor/rooftop training area unless participating in an instructor-led class led by a Virgin Active recognised fitness
U. Squash courts
1. Court bookings are for 45-minute sessions only.
2. Only one session per member at peak times please.
3. Bookings can be made up to two weeks in advance via our website or via the Virgin Active mobile app.
4. Online bookings close five minutes prior to the start time of each squash session – squash players at Virgin Active Bedfordview and Old Edwardians (South Africa) must refer to their Club for Club-specific booking rules.
5. If you aren’t waiting at your booked court at least five minutes prior to your booked court time, then the court will be up for grabs to other members.
6. Yes, appropriate squash shoes with non-marking soles must be worn on the courts at all times.
7. Junior members under the age of 14 may use the squash courts only if accompanied and supervised by their parent(s)/legal guardian(s).
V. Swimming pool
1. Beware: Clubs don’t provide lifeguard supervision.
2. Junior members under the age of 14 must be accompanied and actively supervised at all times by their parent(s)/legal guardian(s), who must remain present either in the pool or on the pool deck (or in sufficiently close proximity to the pool if the pool deck has limited space available, in order to properly monitor and observe the junior member). This rule applies even if the junior member is participating in a swimming/stroke correction lesson/squad training under the instruction of a swim coach. The parent(s)/legal guardian(s) shall always remain accountable for the safety and/or behaviour of their child/children (including throughout the duration of the swimming/stroke correction lesson/squad training).
3. The pool area is slippery when wet, so please be careful when entering.
4. Some swim etiquette:
4.1 please shower before entering the pool, wear a swimming costume and a swimming cap (unless you are bald or the Club General Manager has waived this requirement), and observe any swimming direction displayed in the pool area;
4.2 lanes must be shared and please swim in a clockwise direction; and
4.3 no unhygienic behaviour in the pool will be tolerated.
5. It may sound boring, but please don’t jump or dive into the swimming pool. The same goes for running around it. Don’t.
6. We don’t permit or endorse any form of hypoxic training (a swimming programme involving limited breathing).
7. You may not use the pool if you have a communicable disease, any open sores or wounds.
8. Please don’t use balls, floats or inflatables other than those provided by the Club.
9. Babies and toddlers must wear aqua nappies or specifically designed baby swim trunks.
10. Babies, toddlers and children who can’t swim must wear securely fitted safety flotation devices. Training equipment (i.e. a pool noodle, kickboard or pool buoy) is not considered a safety flotation device.
11. Swimming pool lanes may be reserved (and take priority) from time to time for swim schools. Please check the notice board for details.
12. The leisure pool or swimming pool lanes may be reserved (and take priority) for splash classes. Please check the group exercise timetable for details.
13. We’re committed to doing away with single-use plastics, but due to the safety risk of broken glass, no glass of any kind (including water bottles) is permitted in the pool area.
W. Sauna, steam room, spa bath and aqua lounge
1. If you are elderly, pregnant or suffer from heart disease, diabetes, high or low blood
pressure or any other serious medical condition, you’re advised not to use the saunas,
steam rooms, spa baths or aqua lounges.
2. Junior members under the age of 14 may not use the saunas, steam rooms, spa baths or aqua lounges.
3. For your safety, CCTV cameras have been installed in the aqua lounges and emergency buttons are placed in close proximity to the saunas, steam rooms and aqua lounges.
4. The sauna and steam room will be closed for a brief period during the day for cleaning. Please check with your Club for specific times.
5. Some steam room/sauna/spa/aqua lounge etiquette:
5.1 shower before entering the sauna, steam room, spa bath or aqua lounge;
5.2 sit on a towel when using the sauna/steam room and when using the deck chairs
around the spa bath or in the aqua lounge;
5.3 do not bring any electronic equipment into these areas;
5.4 observe a reasonable time limit in the sauna and steam room. Three to 10 minutes
or until perspiration begins is recommended, after which you should shower and cool
down and, if you wish, return for another short stay;
5.5 don’t use the aqua lounge for longer than one hour per day;
5.6 don’t use oils, creams or cosmetic products;
5.7 don’t shave or exfoliate;
5.8 don’t dry clothing or towels in the sauna or bring newspapers/magazines/books into the sauna (it’s a serious fire hazard);
5.9 don’t pour any oils over the hot rock unit or touch the sauna hot rock unit (it’s very hot and can cause serious injury);
5.10 be aware that surfaces may be slippery;
5.11 no flashing; and
5.12 wear a swimming costume in unisex areas.
X. Hair and hygiene
1. Please limit hair grooming to avoid excessive hair in the shower and the basin areas. This isn’t just gross, but it can easily block drains. As a result, shaving is only permitted in the showers and at the basins and under the following conditions:
1.1 No shaving in the sauna, steam rooms, spa bath and aqua lounge, even if these
facilities are within the bathroom area;
1.2 Guys, please stick to shaving your head and face only and please do this at a basin;
1.3 Razors and electric razors aside, no other hair cutting equipment is permitted to cut or trim hair, even if this is done with the intention to shorten the length of the hair in order to shave;
1.4 Please clear the basin or shower of any removed hair(s); and
1.5 For the safety of our cleaning staff and other members, razors must not be left lying around and must be wrapped in paper before being thrown away in the bins provided.
Y. Anti-gravity yoga
1. Please don’t wear any jewellery or watches, these could snag, tear the hammock and you could be hurt (use plasters to cover up any exposed body piercings that you can’t remove).
2. For hygiene reasons, please wear workout tops that cover your armpits.
Z. Personal training
1. If you’re interested in signing up for a personal trainer, you’re in luck. We have a variety of authorised trainers to choose from on the Virgin Active mobile app or on display boards inside our Clubs. You’re welcome to contact them directly or ask at reception and we’ll happily introduce you to someone.
2. Only authorised Virgin Active personal trainers are permitted to provide personal training in our Clubs. Personal training by another member is not allowed whether it’s for payment or not. If we find someone providing unauthorised personal training, our Club Manager will investigate and you and the trainer may be expelled or suspended.
3. Personal training services are on offer in most Clubs. Personal trainers work for
themselves, but in some Clubs, they are Virgin Active employees. In all instances however please make sure that you sign an agreement with your personal trainer and obtain a receipt every time you purchase sessions.
1. Please don’t mess with fire doors or tamper with any safety devices.
2. Please follow the health and safety notices displayed throughout the Club.
3. Please take note of the emergency procedures and if there’s an emergency, please follow the staff’s instructions at all times.
4. When using staircases, hold the handrails and proceed with caution.
5. We use different floor surfaces throughout our Clubs, please be aware of what you’re walking on to avoid taking a tumble.
6. As ongoing cleaning and maintenance will be taking place, related tools and equipment may be hazardous and some floor surfaces may be wet and slippery. Proceed with caution in these areas.
7. Please report all injuries/incidents and/or any hazards that you spot to a staff member.
BB. Collection and RED rules (for junior members)
1. Children aged 16 and older may purchase a Virgin Active Collection membership at the full adult rate. Children aged 14 and older may purchase a Virgin Active RED membership at the full adult rate. This is subject to their legal guardian signing the required documentation on their behalf.
2. Children under the age of 16 may not access Virgin Active Collection Clubs. Children under the age of 14 may not access Virgin Active RED Gyms.
3. Parent(s)/legal guardian(s):
3.1of children aged 15 and younger, who are Virgin Active Collection members, may
purchase a membership for their child/children for any other Club (excluding Virgin
Active Collection); or
3.2of children aged 13 and younger, who are Virgin Active RED members, may purchase a membership for their child/children for any other Club (excluding Virgin Active Collection and Virgin Active RED Gyms), and the fee, access into the Club and access to equipment and facilities will be dependent on the age group the child falls within as per the rules.
CC. Junior members (i.e. under 18)
1. Junior membership fees vary according to the age group the child falls within and whether or not their parent(s)/legal guardian(s) has a membership.
2. Until they reach the age of 18, junior members’ access to the Club and its facilities will also be dependent on the age group they fall within.
3. Access to the Club does not include access to Club-V and Club-V Max facilities, which requires a separate membership. Parents/legal guardians are not permitted in these areas unless special or ad hoc permission has been temporarily granted by us.
4. Junior members under the age of 14 must be accompanied and supervised by their parent(s)/legal guardian(s) when accessing the Club. Parent(s)/legal guardian(s) must
remain with their child/children at all times, actively supervising their child/children
throughout the Club unless the junior member is signed into Junior Care/Club-V/Club-V Max).
5. Junior members under the age of 8 may not use any equipment in the Club.
DD. Junior Care/Club-V/Club-V Max
1. Junior Care is provided at certain Clubs to junior members from 6 weeks old up to, and including, the age of 7.
2. Club-V is available at certain Clubs to junior members from 6 weeks old up to, and
including, the age of 7 – provided they are Club-V members.
3. Club-V Max is available at certain Clubs to junior members from 6 weeks old up to, and including, the age of 13 – provided they are Club-V Max members.
4. Junior members may only use Club-V Max/Club-V/Junior Care for a maximum of two consecutive hours per day (unless signed into a Holiday Camp, which extends this time limit).
5. At least one parent/legal guardian must remain in the Club while their child/children is in Club-V Max/Club-V/Junior Care.
6. Both the junior member and the parent/legal guardian must show their Access Device when using Club-V Max/Club-V/Junior Care.
7. Junior members using outdoor areas must wear a hat and sunscreen.
8. The Club-V Max/Club-V/Junior Care operating hours are displayed within each Club and may vary.
9. Junior members using Club-V Max/Club-V/Junior Care are required to observe the Club’s rules and the parent/legal guardian will be required to either complete or read and carefully consider the medical risk questionnaire before the junior member can use the facilities.
10. Parent(s)/legal guardian(s) may be asked to remove their child from Club-V
Max/ClubV/Junior Care if, in the opinion of our staff, the child is upset, ill, a threat to other junior members or is disruptive.
EE. Junior member age restrictions on equipment and facility
usage 0 – 7 years
1. Junior members aged 0 – 7 may have access to Club-V Max/Club-V/Junior Care as per the rules.
2. See Rule V (Swimming pool), and more specifically Rule V.2, with regards to the use of the swimming pool for junior members aged 0 – 7 .
3. See Rule U.7 regarding the use of squash courts by junior members aged 0 – 7.
4. See Rule F.9 regarding the use of Internet station computers by junior members aged 0 –7.
5. Junior members aged 0 – 7 may not be on the training floor or use any equipment in the Club.
6. See Rules O.15 and O.17 regarding the participation of junior members aged 0 – 7 in any group exercise classes.
7. See Rule W.2 regarding the use of saunas, steam rooms, spa baths or aqua lounges byjunior members aged 0 – 7.
8. Junior members under the age of 4 are permitted to accompany their parent/guardian into the change-room of the opposite gender. From the age of 4 children may only access their gender-specific change-room.
9. Some Clubs have a ‘family change-room’ which is available for junior members who need to be assisted by their parent/legal guardian. Only the parent/legal guardian may accompany the junior member into the family change-room. Under no other circumstances may members and guests use this facility.
10.1 Rule P.3 regarding the use of the Power Plate;
10.2 Rule R.3 regarding the use of kettlebells, skipping or boxing equipment;
10.3 Rule S.4 regarding participation in The Grid classes, and
10.4 Rule T.6 regarding access to outdoor/rooftop training areas, for junior members
aged 0 – 7.
FF. Members 8 – 13 years
1. Members aged 8 – 13 may have access to Club-V Max as per the rules.
2. See Rule V (Swimming pool), and more specifically Rule V.2, with regards to the use of the swimming pool for Members aged 8 – 13.
3. See Rule F.9 regarding the use of Internet station computers by members aged 8 – 13.
4. See Rule U.7 regarding the use of squash courts by junior members aged 8 – 13.
5. Members aged 8 – 13 may use all cardiovascular equipment (except for (i) electronic or self-powered treadmills, or (ii) ski ergometers), and must be accompanied and supervised by their parent(s)/legal guardian(s).
6. Members aged 8 – 13:
6.1may use the stretch area if accompanied and supervised by their parent(s)/legal
6.2are not permitted on, nor are they allowed to use, any specialised frame equipment or any functional or suspension training equipment (e.g. Queenax frame, OCTAGON
frame, Zest frame, etc.), unless that equipment is located in a family studio and the
junior member is either (i) accompanied and supervised by their parent/legal guardian,or (ii) is participating in age-appropriate programmes conducted in the family studio which are led by a Virgin Active recognised fitness professional. This prohibitionextends to any permanently mounted or removable accessories associated with such specialised frame or suspension equipment.
7. Members aged 8 – 13 may not be on the training floors unless (i) they are using the stretch area located within, next to or nearby a training floor, in which case this exception is permitted only as specifically provided for in Rule FF.6, or (ii) they are in the cardiovascular area located within, next to or nearby a training floor, in which case this exception is permitted only as specifically provided for in Rule FF.5. On specific occasions, these junior members may be on the training floor participating in age-appropriate programmes led by a Virgin Active recognised fitness professional.
8. See Rules O.16 and O.17 regarding the limited participation of junior members aged 8 –13 in adult group exercise classes.
9. Members aged 8 – 13 may not participate in any Mind & Body/Indoor Cycling classes unless participating in age-appropriate programmes/classes being led by a Virgin Active recognised fitness professional.
10. See Rule W.2 regarding the use of saunas, steam rooms, spa baths or aqua lounges byjunior members aged 8 – 13.
11.1 Rule P.3 regarding the use of the Power Plate;
11.2 Rule R.3 regarding the use of kettlebells, skipping or boxing equipment;
11.3 Rule S.4 regarding participation in The Grid classes, and
11.4 Rule T.6 regarding access to outdoor/rooftop training areas, for junior members
aged 8 – 13.
GG. Members 14 – 17 years
1. Members aged 14 – 17 may use the swimming pool(s), provided they can swim. See too Rule V (Swimming pool), with regards to the use of the swimming pool.
2. Members aged 14 – 17 may use the squash courts.
3. Members aged 14 – 17 may use the Internet station computers.
4. Members aged 14 – 17 may use all the equipment on the training floors with the exception of the Power Plate (see Rule P.4 regarding this exception).
5. Members aged 14 – 17 may participate in any group exercise/Mind & Body/Indoor Cycling classes.
6. Members aged 14 – 17 may use the saunas, steam rooms, spa baths and aqua lounges.
HH. Last but not least
1. In some countries, off-peak memberships are available. These memberships allow you to train at the Club between specified off-peak hours only. You will not be allowed access into the Club outside of the specified times. Students who have off-peak memberships may be permitted additional access to the Club after a specified time in the evenings.
2. Please contact your home Club or our Call Centre (in South Africa) on +27 (0) 860 200 911 or log onto our website for more information.
3. We reserve absolute discretion when approving membership applications.
4. Complaints should be made directly to the Club General Manager or in writing via the suggestion/comment boxes provided in the Clubs or via the ‘send us a message’ tab on our website or through any of our other digital mediums which provide for this function.
5. Our right of admission remains reserved at all times.
Thank you and have a great workout